** Chicago LAN 2012 ** November 9th-11th

66 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 15:28
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 
Mon, 10/17/2011 - 15:30
badmin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/24/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 08:20 (Reply to #2)
Grex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/04/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 09:49 (Reply to #3)
Lbsutke's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 10 months ago
Joined: 08/16/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Grex wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

 

Not to trying to speak for Doodi...But yeah. Doodi has to front the cash/payments and if people back out or flake he is on the hook.

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 10:37 (Reply to #4)
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

lbsutke wrote:

Grex wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

 

Not to trying to speak for Doodi...But yeah. Doodi has to front the cash/payments and if people back out or flake he is on the hook.

 

Yeah I hear him on that.  I think there has to be a way to make it more organized - having everyone buy tickets before it is planned - if something happens to cancel it, just refund members.  I figure the further out it is planned, the better chance there is that people can block off that weekend.

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 11:56 (Reply to #5)
badmin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/24/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Shadow wrote:

lbsutke wrote:

Grex wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

 

Not to trying to speak for Doodi...But yeah. Doodi has to front the cash/payments and if people back out or flake he is on the hook.

 

Yeah I hear him on that.  I think there has to be a way to make it more organized - having everyone buy tickets before it is planned - if something happens to cancel it, just refund members.  I figure the further out it is planned, the better chance there is that people can block off that weekend.

 

It has nothing to do with organization.  Any hotel that we cancel on with that many reservations puts the event planer on the hook for the missing cash.  For instance if I cancel on 200 rooms I generally pay a fee of Half the room flat rate or 80% of what the rooms cost on that day (which ever is more).  

 

Fri, 10/21/2011 - 14:54 (Reply to #6)
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

admin wrote:

Shadow wrote:

lbsutke wrote:

Grex wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

 

Not to trying to speak for Doodi...But yeah. Doodi has to front the cash/payments and if people back out or flake he is on the hook.

 

Yeah I hear him on that.  I think there has to be a way to make it more organized - having everyone buy tickets before it is planned - if something happens to cancel it, just refund members.  I figure the further out it is planned, the better chance there is that people can block off that weekend.

 

It has nothing to do with organization.  Any hotel that we cancel on with that many reservations puts the event planer on the hook for the missing cash.  For instance if I cancel on 200 rooms I generally pay a fee of Half the room flat rate or 80% of what the rooms cost on that day (which ever is more).  

 

 

Sorry, what I meant was, have people pay into a pool where we hold the money, then book the place off of that money.  If we can't book a place, refund.  I'm not saying cancel after it's booked.

 

That's if people would go for that.  It's like those inventions where people pre-order them and when enough pre-orders come in to match the amount of money it'll take, they make the product.

Tue, 10/25/2011 - 07:59 (Reply to #7)
Grex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/04/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Shadow wrote:

admin wrote:

Shadow wrote:

lbsutke wrote:

Grex wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

Why Limit?  Cost?

 

Not to trying to speak for Doodi...But yeah. Doodi has to front the cash/payments and if people back out or flake he is on the hook.

 

Yeah I hear him on that.  I think there has to be a way to make it more organized - having everyone buy tickets before it is planned - if something happens to cancel it, just refund members.  I figure the further out it is planned, the better chance there is that people can block off that weekend.

 

It has nothing to do with organization.  Any hotel that we cancel on with that many reservations puts the event planer on the hook for the missing cash.  For instance if I cancel on 200 rooms I generally pay a fee of Half the room flat rate or 80% of what the rooms cost on that day (which ever is more).  

 

 

Sorry, what I meant was, have people pay into a pool where we hold the money, then book the place off of that money.  If we can't book a place, refund.  I'm not saying cancel after it's booked.

 

That's if people would go for that.  It's like those inventions where people pre-order them and when enough pre-orders come in to match the amount of money it'll take, they make the product.

 

I hear you.  Doodi - you shouldnt be paying out of pocket for shit like that.  

 

 I like shadows idea. Either have people book their own room directly with a party name for the discount or make people give money in by a certain date.  this way you have an accurate count.  if they come in after its based of availability and tough shit to them if there is no room left. 

 

you can also start a wait/standby list for the flakes.

 

Just my 2 cents

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 13:55 (Reply to #8)
BELDAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 12 months ago
Joined: 04/14/2005 - 23:00

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

in

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 23:40 (Reply to #9)
Lala Calamari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 day ago
Joined: 01/29/2007 - 23:00

BELDAR wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

in

 

Yep, I was at the last 2 lans and won't miss the next one.  Too bad Doodi shit on fun last year.  Way to fail!

 

I know a bunch of 2o2s guys are dying for this as well.  Make it happen.  Delegate some work.  And don't whine about it being a PITA to do, because we are all ungrateful bitches and we thrive on that. Wink

Wed, 10/19/2011 - 00:23 (Reply to #10)
badmin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/24/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Lala Calamari wrote:

BELDAR wrote:

admin wrote:

There will in fact be a LAN this year.  It will probably just be a lot smaller and set to around 50 people or less.

 

in

 

Yep, I was at the last 2 lans and won't miss the next one.  Too bad Doodi shit on fun last year.  Way to fail!

 

I know a bunch of 2o2s guys are dying for this as well.  Make it happen.  Delegate some work.  And don't whine about it being a PITA to do, because we are all ungrateful bitches and we thrive on that. Wink

 

So many facts!

Mon, 10/17/2011 - 15:32
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

sweet.

 

on the testing tip - I tried to edit and change the background/text color and it did not work.  FYI.

Mon, 10/17/2011 - 18:24 (Reply to #12)
badmin's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 02/24/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

shadowr4ven wrote:

sweet.

 

on the testing tip - I tried to edit and change the background/text color and it did not work.  FYI.

 

You mean like doing this?

Tue, 10/18/2011 - 10:35 (Reply to #13)
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

admin wrote:

shadowr4ven wrote:

sweet.

 

on the testing tip - I tried to edit and change the background/text color and it did not work.  FYI.

 

You mean like doing this?

 

Yessir.  Apparently I didn't understand what that meant - I thought it did it to all the text on a page.

Thu, 10/20/2011 - 11:17
TheGamerME's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 years 5 months ago
Joined: 01/02/2010 - 23:00

Just an idea. with all the people 2old2play has  all over the country  why not change the venue every year and lessen the burden on doodie. I believe the reason he said there would be no lans is because he was burnt out  on doing everything.  I would love to hold a lan party for 2o2p members in my area.  have been trying to get the new england memebers  to rally around the idea.  

Thu, 10/20/2011 - 13:02
megatek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 days ago
Joined: 03/07/2006 - 23:00

Good to hear of another possible gathering. Hopefully its on a weekend with no kids since I am not that far from Chicago.

 

 

Tue, 10/25/2011 - 11:37
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Agreed.  And I find that people are usually accomodating in the 2old2play community for stragglers who need a place to sleep.

Thu, 11/03/2011 - 10:47
Blue_Stiehl's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 08/18/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

My .02

 

The site should look outside of Chicago. There are plenty of areas with major airports that would relish the business and be easier to work with. Plus, a hotel without a bar allows everyone to bring their drink of choice and save a bundle.

Thu, 11/17/2011 - 15:40 (Reply to #18)
mnvikesfan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 1 week ago
Joined: 04/12/2006 - 23:00

I think Chicago worked out well. it has many choices for the event, it all depends on when it is to take place. I would sugguest putting a team together to help with the next one. I may be wrong, but Doodi did the majority of the leg work on the last, I am sure there are people willing to help out ! I know 202s is willing to pitching in and help with anything needed.

 

Fri, 11/18/2011 - 14:05
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I'll help, and I live here.

Thu, 02/23/2012 - 12:27
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Is this in any way possible this year?  I'd like to help, but we need to plan, it's already almost March.

Thu, 03/01/2012 - 19:26
FreynApThyr's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 03/31/2005 - 23:00

I don't want to do any work, but I am willing to come and shit on everyone else's efforts and act like I could have done it better.

Fri, 03/02/2012 - 08:39 (Reply to #22)
FadeIntoBlack's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 03/23/2005 - 23:00

FreynApThyr wrote:

I don't want to do any work, but I am willing to come and shit on everyone else's efforts and act like I could have done it better.

 

Metoo....

Thu, 03/01/2012 - 21:22
meemoos's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 3 days ago
Joined: 07/05/2005 - 23:00

I would so (maybe) go to the LAN Cool

 

Fri, 03/02/2012 - 06:43
NormalGuy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 week ago
Joined: 04/22/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Potential solution for money problem:  Kickstarter that shit.  Get the money now for hotel rooms and rentals.  Use that money to book the rooms and the convention space.

 

No risk (except for the risk that you will run off with all of our $$s Smile )

 

Also, if you are paying for everything up front (including room rentals) the hotel might even give us a better deal on the rooms?  No idea about that part though.

 

NG

Fri, 03/02/2012 - 09:24 (Reply to #25)
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

NormalGuy wrote:

Potential solution for money problem:  Kickstarter that shit.  Get the money now for hotel rooms and rentals.  Use that money to book the rooms and the convention space.

 

No risk (except for the risk that you will run off with all of our $$s Smile )

 

Also, if you are paying for everything up front (including room rentals) the hotel might even give us a better deal on the rooms?  No idea about that part though.

 

NG

 

Hey, that's my idea.  See above, LOL

Sun, 03/04/2012 - 14:23 (Reply to #26)
NormalGuy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 week ago
Joined: 04/22/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Shadow wrote:

NormalGuy wrote:

Potential solution for money problem:  Kickstarter that shit.  Get the money now for hotel rooms and rentals.  Use that money to book the rooms and the convention space.

 

No risk (except for the risk that you will run off with all of our $$s Smile )

 

Also, if you are paying for everything up front (including room rentals) the hotel might even give us a better deal on the rooms?  No idea about that part though.

 

NG

 

Hey, that's my idea.  See above, LOL

 

Fair enough.  Wasn't sure if you were suggesting we chip in for hotel rooms as well. 

 

Either way....make this shit happen.

 

Risk-free.

 

 

Sun, 03/04/2012 - 18:14
Shadow's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/10/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

No worries, agreed!

Mon, 03/05/2012 - 09:53
SirPoonga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/20/2006 - 23:00

If I go I am thinking about picking this up

http://www.projectgaems.com/

Mon, 03/05/2012 - 12:10 (Reply to #29)
Grex's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 10 months ago
Joined: 10/04/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

SirPoonga wrote:

If I go I am thinking about picking this up

http://www.projectgaems.com/

 

that is pretty sweet. but damn 300 beans for that.

Mon, 03/05/2012 - 13:04 (Reply to #30)
SirPoonga's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 02/20/2006 - 23:00

Grex wrote:

SirPoonga wrote:

If I go I am thinking about picking this up

http://www.projectgaems.com/

 

that is pretty sweet. but damn 300 beans for that.

$270 on amazon.  I owuld like to see one befor eI buy one.  It will be worth it if it is a quality screen.

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p