ME3 Sniper Rifles

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Sun, 03/11/2012 - 13:09
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

ME3 Sniper Rifles

What sniper rifles are you guys using? I'm using the M-92 Mantis but the reload times are just insane. I'm looking to see if others have found a better alternative. Thanks!

Sun, 03/11/2012 - 17:10
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

The reload time isn't gonna get better for you. You either use a bolt action slow weapon like that Mantis or one a Widow, or you use a shitty semi auto one like the Incisor, and at that point you're better off just using an assault rifle with a scope on it. If you can save up 250k you can buy the Black Widow from the Spectre store, it's your best bet.

Sun, 03/11/2012 - 19:58
Jedi_Kez's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/30/2006 - 23:00

I think the Black Widow has something like 3 shots/clip, so you only need to reload every third shot, but it still will give you that one-hit kill on most regular enemies.

I agree about all those other semi-auto snipers, they kind of suck, better off using an assault rifle with a scope, or even one of the powerful handguns with a scope. I know the Carnifex is a beast - and I would assume that Spectre pistol you can buy is awesome too.

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 03:47
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

Thanks for the advice. Guess i will stick woth the Mantis until I get enough cast for the Black Widow. I like the power of it but when I need multiple shots like the the Atlas it can become deadly the time it takes to play around with the bolt action. Not sure if I have the Carnifex yet but I may try that for back up to the Mantis.

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 07:57
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

If you got the CE you can use the N7 Valiant. I have found it is the best hybrid of damage and clip size. Plus, the reload speed is very fast. It will one shot kill most Cerberus soldiers (with a headshot) on Hardcore. If they have a shield, you can 2 shot them with Disrupter ammo. 

 

Have not purchased the Black Widow yet, but will likely switch to that one when I get enough credits. 

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 20:22 (Reply to #5)
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

Barheet wrote:

If you got the CE you can use the N7 Valiant. I have found it is the best hybrid of damage and clip size. Plus, the reload speed is very fast. It will one shot kill most Cerberus soldiers (with a headshot) on Hardcore. If they have a shield, you can 2 shot them with Disrupter ammo. 

 

Have not purchased the Black Widow yet, but will likely switch to that one when I get enough credits. 

 

I do have the CE so I will give the N7 Valiant a try. Not sure why I have not played around with it yet.

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 07:57
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

Don't forget to buy the mod that gives you extra sniper damage and 25% time slowdown. I found it in the Citadel Commons...one of the shops there.

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 09:25
Cerberus4417's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 5 months ago
Joined: 10/17/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I haven't tried the snipers in SP, only mp.  

 

But on the topic of handguns the Palain is a beast.  It does have a small reserve of ammo, but I back it up with a light weight AR.  Since I am a adept I need my cooldown bonus high, so running the paladin and the vindicator seem to work.  I have a 190% cooldown.  

Mon, 03/12/2012 - 23:56
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

Used the N7 Valiant tonight and it is really good. The three shots come in real handy. Not as powerful as the Mantis but the 3 shots make up for it.

Tue, 03/13/2012 - 08:24
LocGaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/19/2006 - 23:00

I don't like the scope on the sniper rifles. Maybe it is because I have not played an FPS in a min but a high zoom for 40yard shots is over kill.

 

I have been using a M99 Sabre of late though. It does good damage despite being an AR.

Tue, 03/13/2012 - 10:41
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

The Valiant has almost zero kickback to the point that you can fire from the hip. I use it as an AR at close range. 

Wed, 03/14/2012 - 15:42
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

I now have more than enough money to get the Black Widow but I the Valiant so much I'm not sure I will. Is the Black Widow that much better?

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 07:41
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

Just save right before you buy it in the Spectre area, then try it out in the shooting range. If you don't like it, reload the save. 

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 12:23
Prof_Rockwell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/08/2009 - 23:00

I too have been sticking with the Valiant. The Viper/Mantis definitely have more power, but damn those reload times were killing me. I messed around with the Cerberus Raptor for a minute, and while I love it's rapid fire (it's basically like a Hammerburst), it's punch is so weak that my cryo ammo wasn't affecting enemies at all. So I'm back to my Valiant. 

 

I'm very curious about the Black Widow but it's a heavy one, and I like rolling light so I can spam my Infiltrator powers more often. 

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 13:47 (Reply to #14)
Jedi_Kez's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/30/2006 - 23:00

Prof_Rockwell wrote:
I'm very curious about the Black Widow but it's a heavy one, and I like rolling light so I can spam my Infiltrator powers more often. 

 

I like the Widow better than the Black Widow. The BW has three shots before reloading, however it also is a lot less powerful than the W. Maybe if I had good attachments for Snipers, or had the BW at something other than level I, it would be better.

 

I do have another sniper at level III that is almost as powerful as the Widow now (can't recall what it was) but had a lot less weight. It might be the Mantis? Still single shots though I believe.

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 18:41 (Reply to #15)
Prof_Rockwell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/08/2009 - 23:00

Jedi_Kez wrote:
I do have another sniper at level III that is almost as powerful as the Widow now (can't recall what it was) but had a lot less weight. It might be the Mantis? Still single shots though I believe.

 

I think that's the Viper. Mantis is semi-auto. 

 

 

brigantine72 wrote:

Barheet wrote:

New Game Plus. After you beat the game, start a new game with the character you just finished the game with. ... Import a ME3 character. 

 

Cool, thank you! I beleive there is an achievement for that also.

 

You can get that achievement in the multi-player as well, without having to do a new game+. But you just have to get lucky with your pack purchases. 

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 14:23
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

I'm sure you guys have realized this by now, but upgrading your weapons in the Cargo bay of the Normandy makes a HUGE difference in power and weight. You have to play NG+ to get them ranked up to level 10 though. I've discovered my level 5 Valiant dispatches even Reapers with relative ease, though I admit I haven't faced multi-Banshees yet. 

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 15:00 (Reply to #17)
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

Barheet wrote:

I'm sure you guys have realized this by now, but upgrading your weapons in the Cargo bay of the Normandy makes a HUGE difference in power and weight. You have to play NG+ to get them ranked up to level 10 though. I've discovered my level 5 Valiant dispatches even Reapers with relative ease, though I admit I haven't faced multi-Banshees yet. 

 

I rank all the weapons I use a lot to level 5. I've been wondering how to rank them to 10 so what is NG+?

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 15:25
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

New Game Plus. After you beat the game, start a new game with the character you just finished the game with. ... Import a ME3 character. 

Thu, 03/15/2012 - 15:34 (Reply to #19)
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

Barheet wrote:

New Game Plus. After you beat the game, start a new game with the character you just finished the game with. ... Import a ME3 character. 

 

Cool, thank you! I beleive there is an achievement for that also.

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 07:32
brigantine72's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 06/06/2011 - 23:00

I used the weapons bench in the Spectre Office and I think the Vailient is better for me. The kick back on the Black Widow is just insane so getting multiple shots on fast moving oponents will be hard. I don't think the little bit of extra damage makes up for it.

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 11:25 (Reply to #21)
Jedi_Kez's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/30/2006 - 23:00

brigantine72 wrote:

I used the weapons bench in the Spectre Office and I think the Vailient is better for me. The kick back on the Black Widow is just insane so getting multiple shots on fast moving oponents will be hard. I don't think the little bit of extra damage makes up for it.

 

I wonder how much a fully upgraded stability mod would help with the kickback? Assuming they have those for sniper rifles?

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 11:43 (Reply to #22)
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

Jedi_Kez wrote:

brigantine72 wrote:

I used the weapons bench in the Spectre Office and I think the Vailient is better for me. The kick back on the Black Widow is just insane so getting multiple shots on fast moving oponents will be hard. I don't think the little bit of extra damage makes up for it.

 

I wonder how much a fully upgraded stability mod would help with the kickback? Assuming they have those for sniper rifles?

 

They might, I don't remember. But there are too many other great mods that I would use first. The slow time/damage mod, the extended barrel III for 20% damage, armor penetration, etc. You definitely wouldn't need a stability mod for the Valiant. 

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 11:54 (Reply to #23)
Prof_Rockwell's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/08/2009 - 23:00

Barheet wrote:

Jedi_Kez wrote:

brigantine72 wrote:

I used the weapons bench in the Spectre Office and I think the Vailient is better for me. The kick back on the Black Widow is just insane so getting multiple shots on fast moving oponents will be hard. I don't think the little bit of extra damage makes up for it.

 

I wonder how much a fully upgraded stability mod would help with the kickback? Assuming they have those for sniper rifles?

 

They might, I don't remember. But there are too many other great mods that I would use first. The slow time/damage mod, the extended barrel III for 20% damage, armor penetration, etc. You definitely wouldn't need a stability mod for the Valiant. 

 

No stability mod for the snipers, probably because they have such a slow rate of fire, that you have time to readjust your aim between each salvo. Only assault rifles have the stability mod. Kinda cool as each weapon class has 1 unique mod that none of the others have (pistols: melee damage; SMG: lightweight materials etc)

 

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Weapon_Upgrades_(Mass_Effect_3)

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 12:00 (Reply to #24)
TANK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I got the pistol meele mod a couple nights ago.  I can't see ever usign it though, i'd rather have the the damage mod and the scope, although id dump the scope for a clip expansion.

Sat, 03/17/2012 - 08:45 (Reply to #25)
LocGaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/19/2006 - 23:00

TANK wrote:

I got the pistol meele mod a couple nights ago.  I can't see ever usign it though, i'd rather have the the damage mod and the scope, although id dump the scope for a clip expansion.

 

Agreed.

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 09:46
TANK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I finally got the Window in a Specter pack last night in coop, also got the Cronifex or whatever heavy pistol.  I don't actually like the pistol because of it's hellishly slow rate of fire.  But it can take out a Cannibal one shot style if it's a headshot. 

 

Haven't tried the Widow yet though, it's big and heavy and slows down my powers.  But i might give it a try, Stasis + Sniper rifle seems like it could rock.

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 10:45 (Reply to #27)
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

TANK wrote:

I finally got the Window in a Specter pack last night in coop, also got the Cronifex or whatever heavy pistol.  I don't actually like the pistol because of it's hellishly slow rate of fire.  But it can take out a Cannibal one shot style if it's a headshot. 

 

Haven't tried the Widow yet though, it's big and heavy and slows down my powers.  But i might give it a try, Stasis + Sniper rifle seems like it could rock.

 

I really like the Carnifex pistol. It is insanely powerful and light, so I go around carrying just that one weapon. It fires a lot faster than it did in ME2. It's easy to get headshots with it and has a fairly large clip. If you want a 200% cooldown rate, this is definitely one way to go. 

Fri, 03/16/2012 - 11:04 (Reply to #28)
TANK's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/10/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I've got  a 200% cooldown rate now with the heavy pitol i'm using that I can fire like a machine gun with my turbo controller.  It doesn't do as much single shot damage but I think i can fire it 4 or 5 times in the space fo time it takes to fire the Corni twice.

Sun, 03/18/2012 - 08:56
Barheet's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 2 weeks ago
Joined: 02/07/2009 - 23:00

Tank, I just realized I was thinking of the Phalinx, not the Carnifex. The Phalinx is the one I use. 

Sun, 03/18/2012 - 11:11
Jedi_Kez's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/30/2006 - 23:00

I like the Phalynx too, especially if you want to run with two weapons as that pistol is a LOT lighter than the Carnifex, but still does good damage.

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p