Treyarch Defends CoD's 7 old engine

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 10/10/2012 - 12:56
Lala Calamari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/29/2007 - 23:00

Treyarch Defends CoD's 7 old engine

Treyarch Defends Black Ops' Ageing Engine

 

 

Treyarch has defended using the seven-year-old IW engine to power Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

In an interview with OXM, game design director David Vondehaar explained that modifications had been made to ensure the game ran robustly, and admitted he was baffled that anyone would criticise the title's technical performance.

"Anybody who comes at the engine needs to remember it's the 60 frames they love in the first place," he asserted. "And we can make it beautiful - that's through years and years of working with the engine, improving upon it and improving the pipeline and improving our approach, our lighting rendering.

"People like to talk about the engine, but the truth of the matter is that this isn't like something that was invented six years ago. At this point that engine doesn't resemble anything like any engine - we've ripped out the UI system, the rendering and the lighting are all new, the core gameplay systems are all new.

"To me, it's like I never really understood," Vondehaar concluded. "It runs at 60 and it's gorgeous. What exactly is there to be upset about with the engine?"

The IW Engine has been used by both Infinity Ward and Treyarch for the companies' work on the Call of Duty games. It was first used for Call of Duty 2 back in 2005, and the exact engine being used for Black Ops II is a modified version of the IW 3.0 engine that was used for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, as well as the original Black Ops. The PC version of the game is also confirmed to take advantage of DirectX 11 video cards.

The first image of the Nuketown 2025 pre-order bonus map for Call of Duty: Black Ops II was unveiled yesterday, and the game itself is due to release on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC on November 13, and on the Wii U on its respective launch dates.

 

I always thought the CoD titles look awesome for the XBox.  I just hope they adjust the lag compensation a bit. 

Wed, 10/10/2012 - 14:28
tocleora's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 9 months ago
Joined: 01/20/2008 - 23:00

The jump from 2 to 4 seemed so epic. I think people are wanting to feel that way about a CoD title again.  I'll admit I keep wanting to feel that way too and I am a bit more excited about BO2 than I was the last two.  But I can understand why the game developers would be hesitant to make major changes to a franchise that's working well for them.

Sat, 10/20/2012 - 09:19
ekattan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/27/2005 - 23:00

You can't blame them. If people will actually go to the movies to watch Adam Sandler movies just because he's Adam Sandler, then people for sure are going to buy COD titles just because they add a different number to it every year. 

Sat, 10/20/2012 - 10:11 (Reply to #3)
Lala Calamari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/29/2007 - 23:00

ekattan wrote:

You can't blame them. If people will actually go to the movies to watch Adam Sandler movies just because he's Adam Sandler, then people for sure are going to buy COD titles just because they add a different number to it every year. 

 

You say that as if Call of Duty is the only title that does that.  Which is an odd statement because one of gamings biggest issues is lack of new IP.  Halo 4, BF3, Madden/NBA/NHL/FIFA, Assassins Creed, and many others come to mind. 

 

What I don't get is why people feel the need to post digs against CoD in every thread.  I think this is the only title on the site that people are ok with trolling.  I get that it's the big game in town and it's always cool to put down the main title.  I also get that CoD is not everyones cup of tea. I just don't get why people feel the need to post digs in every thread about.  That wouldn't be cool in BF3, Halo or any of the other forums.

Sat, 10/20/2012 - 10:55 (Reply to #4)
Gunny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/22/2011 - 23:00

Lala Calamari wrote:

ekattan wrote:

You can't blame them. If people will actually go to the movies to watch Adam Sandler movies just because he's Adam Sandler, then people for sure are going to buy COD titles just because they add a different number to it every year. 

 

You say that as if Call of Duty is the only title that does that.  Which is an odd statement because one of gamings biggest issues is lack of new IP.  Halo 4, BF3, Madden/NBA/NHL/FIFA, Assassins Creed, and many others come to mind. 

 

What I don't get is why people feel the need to post digs against CoD in every thread.  I think this is the only title on the site that people are ok with trolling.  I get that it's the big game in town and it's always cool to put down the main title.  I also get that CoD is not everyones cup of tea. I just don't get why people feel the need to post digs in every thread about.  That wouldn't be cool in BF3, Halo or any of the other forums.

x2! If you dont like the game, dont post, easy!  I dont play GW2 so I dont post in their forums.  Oh look...a 2 in GW2!

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 12:00 (Reply to #5)
ekattan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 11 months ago
Joined: 05/27/2005 - 23:00

Lala Calamari wrote:
You say that as if Call of Duty is the only title that does that.  Which is an odd statement because one of gamings biggest issues is lack of new IP.  Halo 4, BF3, Madden/NBA/NHL/FIFA, Assassins Creed, and many others come to mind. 

 

I agree. And we voice our discotents with such games. I play them all. But I sure don't go buying them every year unless something remarkable has happened like some mayor improvement, mechanics, gameplay, or graphics.  As a gamer I would give game designers the idea that they can put out any crap out there and I would buy it. To me this is seroiously damaging to the gaming industry and I think its one of the reasons 2o2p is seeing fewer traffic. The lack of quality games is making it hard for people to get back into gaming as we did 4 years ago. 

 

To say we can only voice positive things about a game in a forum is like living in communist Cuba where you can only say positive things about  Fidel's regime, if not you are registered a troll and sent ot the labor fields to cut sugar cane. Sometimes I wish some games were better. Being complacent about games is not my thing. Sorry if I offended the serious COD crowd but the Black Ops 2 graphics have been a serious point of conversations amongst gamers for obvious reasons. I just didn't go about the right way of putting it out there. 

 

game on. ;)

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 08:36
Cerberus4417's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/17/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

The way I look at it is  he current hardware is ageing.  Why would they spend the money to build a new engine if the current one works.  If you still get 60 fps and less lag, then I will take it.  

I doubt anyone is redesigning the exhaust system for a 2005 Taurus. 

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 13:05
Schultz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 10/03/2009 - 23:00

I confess, I was  CoD hater.

CoD4 took away a lot of my Halo friends.  People didn't want to play Rainbow Six, or Ghost Recon anymore.   Every competitive shooter that came out, just didn't stack up in one way or another to CoD.  (Well, BF:BC2 was great...but BF3 was a let-down imo.)   Part of it, I think had to do with the 60fps, great controls, and of course the addicting level-up/unlockables.

 

I came in to CoD a few months before Black Ops.  I gave up trying, and just jumped on the bandwagon.  "F-it...everyone is playing CoD, and I want to play with them."

First game I played, where I really tried to like CoD, was W@W.  I stopped holding a grudge against CoD, and "learned to love the bomb" so to speak.

I had a great time, playing it with friends.  I didn't get that vibe when playing CoD4 or MW2.  Not sure why, really.

Went on to Black Ops, and according to Raptr, is my most-played game EVER.  Crazy.

 

I plan on maxing out my prestige in Black Ops2.

Mon, 10/22/2012 - 17:01
Snuphy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/01/2008 - 23:00

 

Cerberus4417 wrote:

The way I look at it is  he current hardware is ageing.  Why would they spend the money to build a new engine if the current one works.  If you still get 60 fps and less lag, then I will take it.  

I doubt anyone is redesigning the exhaust system for a 2005 Taurus. 

This.  It’s too late in the console cycle for a game engine overhaul.  Kinda silly to expect a big update a year (or so) before a big update.

Tue, 10/23/2012 - 06:06
Lala Calamari's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/29/2007 - 23:00

Using the same engine in games is so common.  And if you think they're still using the same code as MW1, then you're mistaken.  Treyarch says that much has changed in the article I quoted. 

"Anybody who comes at the engine needs to remember it's the 60 frames they love in the first place," he asserted. "And we can make it beautiful - that's through years and years of working with the engine, improving upon it and improving the pipeline and improving our approach, our lighting rendering.

"People like to talk about the engine, but the truth of the matter is that this isn't like something that was invented six years ago. At this point that engine doesn't resemble anything like any engine - we've ripped out the UI system, the rendering and the lighting are all new, the core gameplay systems are all new.

 

You also have to admit that CoD titles are some of the best looking tiltes on XBox 360.  The game engine, graphics and frames per second are the last things I worry about in a CoD Title.

Tue, 10/23/2012 - 08:23 (Reply to #10)
Cerberus4417's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 10/17/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Lala Calamari wrote:

You also have to admit that CoD titles are some of the best looking tiltes on XBox 360.  The game engine, graphics and frames per second are the last things I worry about in a CoD Title.

 

I'll agree with all your other points, but this one I disagree.  I'm a COD fan you know that, but Halo takes the this one for graphics.  I put Halo 3 in the other day with my nephew and I could not believe how good that still looks.  

 

 

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p