Halo 3 free

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sat, 10/19/2013 - 10:53 (Reply to #61)
GUL74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 1 month ago
Joined: 02/06/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

 

couldnt believe it when I saw that last night 

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 00:03
OMGaLaserPewPew's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 11/14/2009 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Yep, saw that earlier tonight during our clan night.  I didn't check the H4 population, but good to see H3 with that many.  Unfortunately, many of those gamers probably don't have the maps and are restricted to the TS playlist.  BTB was still low in #'s.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 11:24
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 15:24 (Reply to #64)
w0rm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2009 - 23:00

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

I thought the population counter grabbed numbers once or twice every 24 hours.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 15:48 (Reply to #65)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

w0rm wrote:

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

I thought the population counter grabbed numbers once or twice every 24 hours.

I think it's more complicated than that but something there rings a bell. I also remember Bungie/343i saying there were problems with updating and accuracy many times in the past. As of 16:36 Eastern today the numbers I collected above haven't changed. In spite of that, the Internet has been saying 25716 are on right now and 6728 are in Team Slayer! Nobody even remembers whether those numbers are peak 24hrs or just a random point. The point I am getting at is even if they get updated, they don't represent what is happening at any other time. See also the discrepancy between the total online and in MM. If comparing apples and apples with Halo 4, each playlist number must be collected and summed to be compared properly. I saw the same picture Dixon posted about 12hrs before he posted it. I'm pretty sure it's more than 24hrs old.

So let's see what the numbers say in another 12 hours because they sure as heck are not accurate at the moment.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 18:19 (Reply to #66)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

 

Yeah, and that last sentence doesn't speak volumes.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 18:28 (Reply to #67)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

 

Yeah, and that last sentence doesn't speak volumes.

I'd find the quote but lazy. Frankie said it was because it is free. Nothing unexpected in this. Some of the other free games ranked high too for awhile. But hey, spin doctors.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 20:34 (Reply to #68)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Guys, the pop counter is broken. It says 25716 this morning too. The Halo 3 counter has been known to be somewhat broken for a long time. I'm not saying the population isn't higher than Halo 4 but we may have to wait  for the XBLive stats from Major Nelson to know for sure. FYI. 343i has said they expect Halo 3's pop will eclipse Halo 4's.

 

Yeah, and that last sentence doesn't speak volumes.

I'd find the quote but lazy. Frankie said it was because it is free. Nothing unexpected in this. Some of the other free games ranked high too for awhile. But hey, spin doctors.

 

Bullshit.  Ass Creed 2 was free and it wasn't expected to topple Halo 4.  Neither was any other free game, let alone one this old.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 21:21 (Reply to #69)
w0rm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2009 - 23:00

Here it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86224717&postcount=239

"Stinkles" wrote:
its a free mp game. It will definitely surpass h4 on live.

edit: Population counter shows 44,960

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 21:41 (Reply to #70)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

w0rm wrote:

Here it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86224717&postcount=239

"Stinkles" wrote:
its a free mp game. It will definitely surpass h4 on live.

edit: Population counter shows 44,960

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ascend-Hand-of-Kul/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b65?DownloadType=Game

 

That title is the one ahead of Halo 4: http://majornelson.com/?s=live+activity

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 22:21 (Reply to #71)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

w0rm wrote:

Here it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86224717&postcount=239

"Stinkles" wrote:
its a free mp game. It will definitely surpass h4 on live.

edit: Population counter shows 44,960

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ascend-Hand-of-Kul/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b65?DownloadType=Game

 

That title is the one ahead of Halo 4: http://majornelson.com/?s=live+activity

See, you're gettin old too. Sheeeeit, your kind don't rule the worl no mo. Spit ... The youngins be taking your place MLG wannabe. Now grab a sucker, sit in your rocker an watch the worl go by. Sheeeeit. Spit ...

Sun, 10/20/2013 - 00:29 (Reply to #72)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

w0rm wrote:

Here it is.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86224717&postcount=239

"Stinkles" wrote:
its a free mp game. It will definitely surpass h4 on live.

edit: Population counter shows 44,960

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Ascend-Hand-of-Kul/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b65?DownloadType=Game

 

That title is the one ahead of Halo 4: http://majornelson.com/?s=live+activity

See, you're gettin old too. Sheeeeit, your kind don't rule the worl no mo. Spit ... The youngins be taking your place MLG wannabe. Now grab a sucker, sit in your rocker an watch the worl go by. Sheeeeit. Spit ...

 

Still haven't even downloaded the game yet, sir.

Sun, 10/20/2013 - 14:22 (Reply to #73)
DCHaloJunkies's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/16/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Total unique users over 24 hours.  Playlist counters are supposed to be accurate, though it doesn't seem like they're changing either.

Looks like people will play a FPS without sprint and jetpacks in 2013 after all :)

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 11:49
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

FYI The Total Gamers Online still says 25716 at 12:47 Eastern.

I went into all playlists at 12:47 Eastern and observed. It hasn't changed in 15 minutes but I will check later. If the numbers change then maybe you have something to go by.

4103 Lone Wolves

6728 Team Slayer

0324 Team Doubles

0096 Team Snipers

0504 MLG

0206 Team SWAT

0064 Rumble Pit

5200 Social Slayer

0014 Social Skirmish

0012 Action Sack

1232 Multi Team

0094 Team Mythic

0264 Social Big Team

0015 7 on 7th

 

------------

 

18856 Total

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 15:40
OldnAchy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 08/16/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 
Still showing 25716 at 4:40 PM Eastern. Playlist population hasn't changed either since last night.
Sat, 10/19/2013 - 16:22
w0rm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2009 - 23:00

Here's Urk's explanation of the H3 counter... at least the way it was functioning in 2010.

http://halo.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=52454582&postRepeater1-p=4

"urk" wrote:
The numbers you're using are not comparable. Halo 3 is displaying its total player count over the last 24 hours. Halo: Reach is displaying how many players are online right now.


Halo: Reach has way more active players and the attrition rate is much, much lower than it was for Halo 3.

So, in summary: Reach is currently way more popular than Halo 3 is and remains more popular than Halo 3 was this many days after its release date.

Yay, science!

:D

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 16:55
AddiCt3d_2CHa0s's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 01/07/2010 - 23:00

I saw a Beyond Entertainment Tweet that referenced over 1 million for Halo 3. Not sure if this was total since it became free, total for a 24 hour period, or wat, but they seem to try to be accurate in their reporting so I didn't bat an eye.

Going to try to get some Halo 3 customs going later tomorrow night, on quality Forged maps. Everyone is welcome. Halo 4 is dead :/ Halo 3 is really laggy for me, which is one of the reasons I haven't been hopping over, but I'm willing to give it another shot. REACH has been fun to hop back into, too. REALLY fast matchups in matchmaking! Like 10 times faster than Halo 4.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 17:22
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I saw a picture on NeoGaf that had it 7,995,512. Something is broken big time.

Here it is.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 17:32
w0rm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2009 - 23:00

I don't think that pic is from recent.  I remember there being a bloop in the H3 counter sometime during transition from Bungie to 343.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 17:49 (Reply to #80)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

w0rm wrote:

I don't think that pic is from recent.  I remember there being a bloop in the H3 counter sometime during transition from Bungie to 343.

Which one? The 7 mil or the 1 mil? The Internet is going crazy. They're eating it up and the Halo 3 community talking heads are letting it happen and they know the counter is broken. Internet personalities are doing everything they can to get Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and website hits. It's ridiculous how they don't care about misinformation.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 17:55
LegendcalledJim's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 months ago
Joined: 02/13/2009 - 23:00

With so much attention on population numbers I wonder why they even show them. If I was 343 I would not show them or maybe fudge them a little to make playlists seem more popular than they are.

 

After playing Halo3 for a week I'm starting to get back into it. Halo3 with Reach's netcode, forge and lobby system would make a near perfect game.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 18:27 (Reply to #82)
w0rm's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 days ago
Joined: 11/13/2009 - 23:00

 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

w0rm wrote:

I don't think that pic is from recent.  I remember there being a bloop in the H3 counter sometime during transition from Bungie to 343.

Which one? The 7 mil or the 1 mil? The Internet is going crazy. They're eating it up and the Halo 3 community talking heads are letting it happen and they know the counter is broken. Internet personalities are doing everything they can to get Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and website hits. It's ridiculous how they don't care about misinformation.

The 7 mil.  I didn't know there was a 1 mil pic.

LegendcalledJim wrote:
After playing Halo3 for a week I'm starting to get back into it. Halo3 with Reach's netcode, forge and lobby system would make a near perfect game.

That would be incredible.

Sat, 10/19/2013 - 22:52
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

The Total Gamers Online says 44960 at 23:28 Eastern.

I went into all playlists at 23:28 Eastern and observed. It hasn't changed in 15 minutes but I will check later. If the numbers change then maybe you have something to go by.

4970 Lone Wolves

9452 Team Slayer

0660 Team Doubles

0276 Team Snipers

0936 MLG

0388 Team SWAT

0176 Rumble Pit

8800 Social Slayer

0190 Social Skirmish

0204 Action Sack

2464 Multi Team

0090 Team Mythic

0570 Social Big Team

0071 7 on 7th

------------

 

29247 Total - Total Online 44960 = 15713 not in MM

So everything is very roughly double what it was. The one thing we have learned for sure, these numbers don't represent the current population and they sure as heck aren't the 1,000,000 and 7,000,000 BE and others were shitting out of their mouths. They may be the 24hr peaks, 24hr totals or they could be the UU/24hrs. Let's look back in a week and do another comparison.

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 12:23
JRock3x8's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 1 month ago
Joined: 06/23/2005 - 23:00

got a couple hours of campaign in last night just to try and remember some of the controls.

I was surprised given how little COD I have actually played that I was totally reliant on the left tripper, right trigger way of aiming and firing.  It took a good 15 minutes to break that.

Anyways, I'm ready to get my ass beat now.  Let's get on with it.

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 13:45
bdub77's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 11 months ago
Joined: 09/19/2013 - 15:34

Been watching some of the pros hit up H3 on twitch. After watching Ogre2 getting manhandled last night by Ace's host, it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who hates playing online. I never pull host. Ever. H3 is so much of a smoother game on LAN.

But let's not hate on H3, it's a better game in every respect than H4. I have noticed that since Team Slayer came back in population numbers on H4 my lag/connection issues have drastically improved. Might also be that getting my H3 BR back in shape has helped my H4 game. In fact I'm enjoying H4 lately more than I have in a while (outside of Thursday night customs which are epic).

Except on split screen - H4 is still completely unplayable on split screen online.

I really hope H5 goes back to basics, no sprint, powerups set to pickup only, improved ranking system. H3 plays so well especially on MLG settings with slightly faster movement rate.

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 14:07
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

343i playing it pretty cool. Do people really think the world will change somehow?

Quote:
Zee Naught‏@Zee_Naught @quinndelhoyo Wat happens when major nelson relases the xbox live activity chart, and halo 3 is above halo 4? Reply Retweet Favorite More 2:42 PM - 20 Oct 13
Quote:
Quinn DelHoyo ‏@quinndelhoyo 19h @Zee_Naught Nothing happens. Should be cool to see Halo 3 on the Xbox live chart for the 1st time in years. Details

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 14:52 (Reply to #87)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 9 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

343i playing it pretty cool. Do people really think the world will change somehow?

Quote:
Zee Naught‏@Zee_Naught @quinndelhoyo Wat happens when major nelson relases the xbox live activity chart, and halo 3 is above halo 4? Reply Retweet Favorite More 2:42 PM - 20 Oct 13
Quote:
Quinn DelHoyo ‏@quinndelhoyo 19h @Zee_Naught Nothing happens. Should be cool to see Halo 3 on the Xbox live chart for the 1st time in years. Details

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1owf1n/the_reason_for_halo_3s_success/

 

The Halo subreddit is a pretty open place.  I can't say I notice many, if any, Halo 4 threads since Halo 3 started picking up some steam.

http://halocharts.com/2013/playlists_halo4.php

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 15:15 (Reply to #88)
lanierb's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 10 months ago
Joined: 04/17/2008 - 23:00

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1owf1n/the_reason_for_halo_3s_success/

IMO this captures everything.  Halo's <=3 were deep games that took years to master, and there was always something new to do/learn.  That's what made them so great and why people put so much into them.  It's why the masses loved them.

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 16:52 (Reply to #89)
DCHaloJunkies's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 8 months ago
Joined: 09/16/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

343i playing it pretty cool. Do people really think the world will change somehow?

I doubt 343 will resconsider h5's gameplay if that's what you mean. People aren't playing h3 to make a statement, it's just fun and now with the healthy population, it's easy to find matches.

Mon, 10/21/2013 - 17:17 (Reply to #90)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DCHaloJunkies wrote:

DEEP_NNN wrote:

343i playing it pretty cool. Do people really think the world will change somehow?

I doubt 343 will resconsider h5's gameplay if that's what you mean. People aren't playing h3 to make a statement, it's just fun and now with the healthy population, it's easy to find matches.

Actually, I do believe some people are playing to make a statement. They've said as much in several forums. It's an inconsequential number though, in my opinion. Today's magic Halo 3 numbers were half of yesterday's. Does that mean it's dying already? I don't believe that to be the case. It just reinforces my opinion we don't know what the pop numbers really are. Just for the hell of it, go into the ranked playlists and pick a playlist. Press X and a chart will come up showing the skill distribution. Most of the playlists are heavily low skilled. Exceptions being Swat and MLG, I think. If accurate, I wonder what it tells us? I'd have to take pictures to cap them. I wonder if they will change and to what. When you went back to Halo 3, was your skill the way you left it awhile back?

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p