Adios Year 1 Weapons and Armor

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
#1 Wed, 09/16/2015 - 06:56
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Adios Year 1 Weapons and Armor

I knew this day was coming, but wow is the reality brutal.

ALL of our Year 1 weapons are pretty much useless now. Easily replaced by the new green gear...lol However, change is good and basically we are simply starting brand new characters and grinding for optimal gear again. 

Thankfully, the path to level 40 is easily reached, but the challenge will be increasing the Light on the new weapons and gear. 

Our Year 1 stuff will still have a place, for the moment, in Crucible - but that time will probably come to an end soon too.

Now I don't feel so bad about never getting a Fatebringer.

Godspeed Year 1 gear!

Game: 
Wed, 09/16/2015 - 07:07
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

I've noticed the green and blue items are surpassing Y1 stuff. I may have to use it soon. So far my NL Shadow has clearly out paced the enemy at every juncture. Today may change all that.

I put my Y1 FWC armour away for now. The grind through boring TTK stuff is identical to my first month of Destiny. Equip, replace, equip, replace. I hope to get my new FWC armour soon. Already have FWC hand cannon and rocket launcher. Pretty.

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 07:55
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Well, I should say, our Year 1 stuff will still be fine for most activities like Patrols, but for activities where Light matters then you will be forced to use the new stuff.

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 10:29
OldnAchy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Jury still out on perks.  Looks like armor and weapons following year 1 progression so far.  Uncommon gets one perk, rare gets 2.  Does that mean legendary gets 3?  I did get one exotic weapon yesterday,  the Hawk Moon hand cannon, but haven't taken a close look at it yet. 

One thing I do need to do is clean out my on character weapon inventory a little so I can pick up more uncommon weapon drops.  I have one basic loadout in the TGD app -- max power which includes PVE, Raid,and Crucible weapons.  Going to break those up into separate loadouts now to free up a bunch of slots.  

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 14:18 (Reply to #4)
Duke12's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/28/2012 - 14:47
Currently Playing: 

OldnAchy wrote:

 

One thing I do need to do is clean out my on character weapon inventory a little so I can pick up more uncommon weapon drops.  I have one basic loadout in the TGD app

Is the Tower Ghost app working? My Iphone version doesn't seem to get past black screen ever since the Sept 8 changes. Haven't seen an update as yet, either, at least not in the app store.

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 15:39 (Reply to #5)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Duke12 wrote:

 

OldnAchy wrote:

 

 

One thing I do need to do is clean out my on character weapon inventory a little so I can pick up more uncommon weapon drops.  I have one basic loadout in the TGD app

 

 

Is the Tower Ghost app working? My Iphone version doesn't seem to get past black screen ever since the Sept 8 changes. Haven't seen an update as yet, either, at least not in the app store.

Tower Ghost has been updated and works on PC and Android. There's always a delay with the iOS version, which has to be approved by Apple before the update shows up.

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 15:45 (Reply to #6)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

OldnAchy wrote:

Jury still out on perks.  Looks like armor and weapons following year 1 progression so far.  Uncommon gets one perk, rare gets 2.  Does that mean legendary gets 3?  I did get one exotic weapon yesterday,  the Hawk Moon hand cannon, but haven't taken a close look at it yet. 

One thing I do need to do is clean out my on character weapon inventory a little so I can pick up more uncommon weapon drops.  I have one basic loadout in the TGD app -- max power which includes PVE, Raid,and Crucible weapons.  Going to break those up into separate loadouts now to free up a bunch of slots.  

Yes, it appears that legendary weapons and armor each get 3 perks.

I got a Hawkmoon and played with it last night but it's already lower in attack than some of the blues and greens I got later.

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 15:45
Minotaur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/13/2014 - 13:35
Currently Playing: 

Not so fast.... A guy posted in the Bungie forums that he compared some of the great year one guns against 200+ year two blue/legendary guns in PvE missions. The best year one stuff was producing quite a bit better critical hit numbers than the 200+ guns. VoC, Gjallarhorn and much more still work. I can attest to that. When the going gets tough, I swap in the Gjallarhorn. 

Wed, 09/16/2015 - 16:03 (Reply to #8)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Minotaur wrote:

Not so fast.... A guy posted in the Bungie forums that he compared some of the great year one guns against 200+ year two blue/legendary guns in PvE missions. The best year one stuff was producing quite a bit better critical hit numbers than the 200+ guns. VoC, Gjallarhorn and much more still work. I can attest to that. When the going gets tough, I swap in the Gjallarhorn. 

Although my Year 1's are quickly finding a new home in the vault, I went back to Gjallarhorn on the Oryx story mission 'cause new stuff I had wasn't getting the job done. And I have a quest now that requires The Last Word. Looks like a lot of these guns are going to be around and still useful for some time to come. 

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 07:07 (Reply to #9)
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

BLAMnation wrote:

 

Although my Year 1's are quickly finding a new home in the vault, I went back to Gjallarhorn on the Oryx story mission 'cause new stuff I had wasn't getting the job done. And I have a quest now that requires The Last Word. Looks like a lot of these guns are going to be around and still useful for some time to come. 

I picked up this quest last night too. Another Crucible quest where you are penalized for death...frown

However, read the description closely. The quest simply requires kills with TLW "equipped", not necessarily with the weapon, so special, heavy and super kills with TLW equipped count.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 06:59 (Reply to #10)
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Minotaur wrote:

Not so fast.... A guy posted in the Bungie forums that he compared some of the great year one guns against 200+ year two blue/legendary guns in PvE missions. The best year one stuff was producing quite a bit better critical hit numbers than the 200+ guns. VoC, Gjallarhorn and much more still work. I can attest to that. When the going gets tough, I swap in the Gjallarhorn. 

Sure our old "go-to" weapons will still be good for the easier content. The changes will be more obvious when Light is important. I imagine trying to use a 170 VoC in a recommended 290 Light activity will not be the best course of action.

 

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 05:49
OldnAchy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

What I found as well. Compared a blue 203 impact scout rifle vs. my 170 VOC and the VOC kicked arse on critical hits.  So, yeah, they will be around for awhile.  The change will probably be in year 2 legendary weapons which will probably be required in hard mode raids and strikes.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 07:37 (Reply to #12)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

OldnAchy wrote:

What I found as well. Compared a blue 203 impact scout rifle vs. my 170 VOC and the VOC kicked arse on critical hits.  So, yeah, they will be around for awhile.  The change will probably be in year 2 legendary weapons which will probably be required in hard mode raids and strikes.

It looks like you won't be able to get your Light up to ~240 without legendary weapons so I guess it's safe to say they're required.

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 19:30 (Reply to #13)
OldnAchy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

BLAMnation wrote:

 

OldnAchy wrote:

 

What I found as well. Compared a blue 203 impact scout rifle vs. my 170 VOC and the VOC kicked arse on critical hits.  So, yeah, they will be around for awhile.  The change will probably be in year 2 legendary weapons which will probably be required in hard mode raids and strikes.

 

 

It looks like you won't be able to get your Light up to ~240 without legendary weapons so I guess it's safe to say they're required.

I understand that.  What I was talking about were year 2 uncommon and rare weapons.  As of now I have only 2 year legendary weapons, one for my Titan and one for my Warlock and an order for the Suros Scout rifle for my Titan.  The uncommon and rare weapons do not have the impact of fully ascended year 1 legendary weapons.  For example my 170 VOC takes out a lower level Vandal with one headshot.  It takes 2 headshots with a 203 rare year 2 scout rifle.  That surprised me.  When it's time to get up to 240, I expect it will be with year 2 legendary weapons that actually have impact.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 07:05
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Well shit! My new and very excellent looking FWC hand cannon sounds like shit. The sound effect destroys all my confidence in it.

I also resorted to my Y1 NL Shadow in the VoG quest. It's sustained punishment kept The Taken at bay and it doesn't even have a burn.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 08:03 (Reply to #15)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Just noticed, the FWC hand I was given is 240 attack. The ones you buy are 280. Wish I could buy a new sound for it.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 11:56 (Reply to #16)
Zikan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 5 months ago
Joined: 06/17/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Just noticed, the FWC hand I was given is 240 attack. The ones you buy are 280. Wish I could buy a new sound for it.

You must feed it other guns to make it strong ...

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 08:15 (Reply to #17)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

Well shit! My new and very excellent looking FWC hand cannon sounds like shit. The sound effect destroys all my confidence in it.

I also resorted to my Y1 NL Shadow in the VoG quest. It's sustained punishment kept The Taken at bay and it doesn't even have a burn.

Tried to complete that VoG quest last evening, and just when I thought I was done another friggin' batch of Taken showed up. I should have pulled out a VoC or Red Death but stubbornly kept using the new guns. After 3 wipes I gave up. 

 

On another note (hey Duke!), Tower Ghost for iOS just got updated. My iPad didn't seem to want to take the update so I deleted and re-downloaded it. Beware - it takes a loooooonnnnnnggggg time to start up. I wish the Destiny Item Manager dev would publish an iOS version - that app does almost everything Tower Ghost does and it is FAST.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 14:38 (Reply to #18)
Duke12's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 10 months ago
Joined: 11/28/2012 - 14:47
Currently Playing: 

BLAMnation wrote:

On another note (hey Duke!), Tower Ghost for iOS just got updated. My iPad didn't seem to want to take the update so I deleted and re-downloaded it. Beware - it takes a loooooonnnnnnggggg time to start up. I wish the Destiny Item Manager dev would publish an iOS version - that app does almost everything Tower Ghost does and it is FAST.

Thanks, Blam! I'll look for the update on the iPhone. Hoping to be on tonight, depending on when the chores get done. New subclasses equipped on Titan and Hunter. Hope to add the Warlock and then just focus on finishing the main quest and leveling up the Titan for awhile. So much to do, so much to do ...

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 08:27
Bluestar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 6 months ago
Joined: 04/21/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Year 1 stuff seems to work better than some of the crap I've gotten so far through the story missions and patrols.  But the vanguard strike list is still locked out so I haven't tried them there.  All I have is the Vanguard Legacy strikes at level 20.  Do you need to finish the taken king quest to unlock it?

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 13:32 (Reply to #20)
Thom293's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/09/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Bluestar wrote:

Year 1 stuff seems to work better than some of the crap I've gotten so far through the story missions and patrols.  But the vanguard strike list is still locked out so I haven't tried them there.  All I have is the Vanguard Legacy strikes at level 20.  Do you need to finish the taken king quest to unlock it?

Yes- they unlock after you get pretty far down the quest tree.  I like all 3 of the new strikes.  The Shank one is really fun.  My favorite part is that they have mostly solved the "run past half the content" bullshit in most of the strikes.  That kind of cheese always annoyed me (although I did it without shame).

 

I got Hard light the first day from a green engram from Rahool.  Damn that is a nice gun.  Wish I had it before.  Sadly, I dont think it is one of the Y2 upgradeable ones.  Will be fun to use in Crucible though.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 12:42
Minotaur's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 03/13/2014 - 13:35
Currently Playing: 

You're right Darth, eventually the year one guns will lose out. But that time is a ways off for me. My guess is that once we begin doing the weekly heroic strikes and nightfalls, we'll need the new guns and appropriate overall light level. 

I used the Icebreaker in exactly the way Bungie didn't want us to use it... I used it to kill the Cabal tank in the Dreadnaught from a long ways off - just like some did in the old Valus strike. 

The new TTK rare rockets don't track. After wasting too many rockets, I put on a pair of 170 boots that gave me 7 rockets, and then equipped the Gjallarhorn. Felt good, and I used that loadout to help take down Oryx several times as well as lots of yellowbar wizards/knights/colossus. 

By the way, my son farmed the materials to get the sword.... It's pretty awesome and very effective, but uses heavy ammo. I need a few more hadium flakes to get one... You can choose a sword having one of three elementals - void, solar or arc. You farm the flakes by opening chests in the area where you planted the patrol markers near the crashed Cabal ship in the Dreadnaught - and in the area caves and spawn chambers.

Sun, 09/20/2015 - 10:51 (Reply to #22)
BLAMnation's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 9 months ago
Joined: 08/31/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Minotaur wrote:

You're right Darth, eventually the year one guns will lose out. But that time is a ways off for me. My guess is that once we begin doing the weekly heroic strikes and nightfalls, we'll need the new guns and appropriate overall light level. 

I used the Icebreaker in exactly the way Bungie didn't want us to use it... I used it to kill the Cabal tank in the Dreadnaught from a long ways off - just like some did in the old Valus strike. 

The new TTK rare rockets don't track. After wasting too many rockets, I put on a pair of 170 boots that gave me 7 rockets, and then equipped the Gjallarhorn. Felt good, and I used that loadout to help take down Oryx several times as well as lots of yellowbar wizards/knights/colossus. 

By the way, my son farmed the materials to get the sword.... It's pretty awesome and very effective, but uses heavy ammo. I need a few more hadium flakes to get one... You can choose a sword having one of three elementals - void, solar or arc. You farm the flakes by opening chests in the area where you planted the patrol markers near the crashed Cabal ship in the Dreadnaught - and in the area caves and spawn chambers.

If you have a Titan and can get a Taikonaut helmet you get tracking for any rocket launcher you have equipped, plus some other good perks.

Thu, 09/17/2015 - 16:27
OldnAchy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 days ago
Joined: 08/16/2010 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Agree on Year one guns being handy for  awhile.  What we are getting now are random and uncommon.  It will be the legendaries and new exotics that will have more punch I believe, and get us on the way to 240.  Btw, I ran a Queen's quest and got a Queen legendary sniper -- HOW that is.  160 max to 170.  Dammit if I run a TKK quest I want a TKK weapon!!

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 01:56
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

...Are you guys playing the same game I'm playing?  I replaced my year one weapons with pretty much the first green weapon I found. 

Actually, it was a white one.  It was one of the Gunsmith's test weapons. 

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 07:07 (Reply to #25)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

...Are you guys playing the same game I'm playing?  I replaced my year one weapons with pretty much the first green weapon I found. 

Actually, it was a white one.  It was one of the Gunsmith's test weapons. 

Confidence in a weapon comes into play here. It's not just the numbers.

Yes, the first test rifles were decent but not as appealing or confidence building that my Fulcrum or NL Shadow still are. They are great patrol weapons as well. Until TTK provides me with desirable replacements, I see no need to get rid of them.

I did get rid of a bunch of Y1 160 level weapons that I knew were never getting used. That included some Raid junk I don't use.

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 14:59 (Reply to #26)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

All lies.  Confidence has nothing to do with it.  "Confidence" is bigger numbers popping up over the heads of your opponents.  You might have to move a little closer or further away to maximize the efficiency of the weapon, but that's about it.  After a short while, using year one weapons are a massive handicap.

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 16:53 (Reply to #27)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

All lies.  Confidence has nothing to do with it.  "Confidence" is bigger numbers popping up over the heads of your opponents.  You might have to move a little closer or further away to maximize the efficiency of the weapon, but that's about it.  After a short while, using year one weapons are a massive handicap.

Good lord, even Bungie has stated that weapons can be perceived as over/under powered just from the sound effects alone.

I agree Y1 weapons will become quickly worth less in the new TTK Heroic and higher levels but a good Y1 gun in patrol is still a good gun.

Sun, 09/20/2015 - 08:56 (Reply to #28)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 11 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:

 

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

 

All lies.  Confidence has nothing to do with it.  "Confidence" is bigger numbers popping up over the heads of your opponents.  You might have to move a little closer or further away to maximize the efficiency of the weapon, but that's about it.  After a short while, using year one weapons are a massive handicap.

 

Good lord, even Bungie has stated that weapons can be perceived as over/under powered just from the sound effects alone.

 

I agree Y1 weapons will become quickly worth less in the new TTK Heroic and higher levels but a good Y1 gun in patrol is still a good gun.

 

Perception isn't exactly reality, either.  Live in the now.  Embrace year 2.  Year one stuff lives on in the Crucible.

Fri, 09/18/2015 - 08:14
Bluestar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 6 months ago
Joined: 04/21/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Well at least the fountain of strange coins I have are no being put to good use.  Managed to get 3 year 2 exotic helms for the warlock and 1 for a titan and hunter each.  Good thing to do is if you get duplicates, don't dismantle the duplicate, use it to infuse a legendary.  I got 3 Obsidian Minds and used one to upgrade my legendary helm from 255 to 283.  Pay attention to the perk tree for the exotics as they change.  Only one of the OMs I got had Inverse Shadow.  The other 2 had the heavy weapon kills super bonus and grenade kills super bonus.  So keep the one you want and infuse the others.

And I now have a set of antlers on my head.  God that thing looks so stupid, even worse than the Ram.  

Sat, 09/19/2015 - 05:59
hemihuman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 2 months ago
Joined: 02/24/2015 - 10:05
Currently Playing: 

I put my year one stuff in the attic the first day. Now I dread going there to clean it out. Too much like real life.

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p