4 planets, 1 area each, PvP is the main focus

48 posts / 0 new
Last post
Wed, 08/06/2014 - 15:13
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Bungie said they opened a door on the Tower during the Beta. Most people probably didn't even notice. I agree, more to the Tower than we yet know.

Earth also may be much bigger than we know.

I'd be very surprised if Destiny's retail release world didn't surpass even the wildest speculations.

Plenty of planned DLC too.

So much stuff Bungie is yet to tell us with a month left to go. Gamescon, weekly updates and EGN exclusives. Keep your eyes peeled.

Wed, 08/06/2014 - 15:16
jtgjr007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 5 months ago
Joined: 06/21/2005 - 23:00

Yeah, I found the tunnel with the ?? enemies and also took the Sparrow down the path where the ships were and encountered some ?? enemies there. I hope that there is much more to explore than what was open in the beta, that area seemed fairly small for an "open world." I didn't have much time in my schedule for exploring when the moon was open, so I just did the short mission.

I hate to keep comapring Destiny to Skyrim, but half the fun in Skyrim for me was roaming around killing bears, mamoths and giants with my high level gear. Is it a little OP to one shot a giant with a bow that does 458 damage? Sure, but was it fun? Yes. I can't believe that Destiny wont offer some more in the free roam mode than what we saw.

Wed, 08/06/2014 - 20:28
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

The cup, is half full.

Wed, 08/06/2014 - 23:47
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

You can call it half full or half empty, it's still half a cup.

Thu, 08/07/2014 - 08:10
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Bungie keeps saying we've seen very little of the game. Now if that's just hype or truth, we'll soon find out. I'm not expecting Skyrim size maps for exploration, but also you have to take into account we will have multiple planets to visit. 

I also hope there is more to the Tower and you have to think we'll see special events for PvP and PvE in some of these other areas. Just like was mentioned concerning the Iron Banner.

I'm not sure how much more new information we'll really get on Destiny. Bungie has repeatedly stated they do not want to give away too much of the game and they want us to experience and find things on our own. 

Full steam ahead though, the hype-train is rolling!

Thu, 08/07/2014 - 12:40 (Reply to #36)
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

DarthTabasco wrote:

Bungie keeps saying we've seen very little of the game. Now if that's just hype or truth, we'll soon find out. I'm not expecting Skyrim size maps for exploration, but also you have to take into account we will have multiple planets to visit. 

I also hope there is more to the Tower and you have to think we'll see special events for PvP and PvE in some of these other areas. Just like was mentioned concerning the Iron Banner.

I'm not sure how much more new information we'll really get on Destiny. Bungie has repeatedly stated they do not want to give away too much of the game and they want us to experience and find things on our own. 

Full steam ahead though, the hype-train is rolling!

Technically they're right. There's 32 story missions, 15 strikes, however many raids plus the pvp modes we haven't seen. So even though we've seen half the maps and we know pretty much how the strikes and pvp will play, we haven't "seen" the other ones, plus those silly little community events like stopping the drilling or stopping that guy from reaching his destination.

If the iron banner counts as a special event where we play the exact same game mode the exact same way but my gun does more or less damage, I find that a little disappointing.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 11:36 (Reply to #37)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

KamakazeTaco wrote:

DarthTabasco wrote:

Bungie keeps saying we've seen very little of the game. Now if that's just hype or truth, we'll soon find out. I'm not expecting Skyrim size maps for exploration, but also you have to take into account we will have multiple planets to visit. 

I also hope there is more to the Tower and you have to think we'll see special events for PvP and PvE in some of these other areas. Just like was mentioned concerning the Iron Banner.

I'm not sure how much more new information we'll really get on Destiny. Bungie has repeatedly stated they do not want to give away too much of the game and they want us to experience and find things on our own. 

Full steam ahead though, the hype-train is rolling!

Technically they're right. There's 32 story missions, 15 strikes, however many raids plus the pvp modes we haven't seen. So even though we've seen half the maps and we know pretty much how the strikes and pvp will play, we haven't "seen" the other ones, plus those silly little community events like stopping the drilling or stopping that guy from reaching his destination.

If the iron banner counts as a special event where we play the exact same game mode the exact same way but my gun does more or less damage, I find that a little disappointing.

 

Don't.  Lets compare skill in the game, not the loot we find.  Don't let the weapons be a crutch for good play, just give me tht avenue for good play..  

 

Of course, this is also being said with zero clue as to what the other game modes are and what they're supporting and how customizable it may or may not be.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 15:03 (Reply to #38)
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

Dixon_Tufar wrote:

KamakazeTaco wrote:

DarthTabasco wrote:

Bungie keeps saying we've seen very little of the game. Now if that's just hype or truth, we'll soon find out. I'm not expecting Skyrim size maps for exploration, but also you have to take into account we will have multiple planets to visit. 

I also hope there is more to the Tower and you have to think we'll see special events for PvP and PvE in some of these other areas. Just like was mentioned concerning the Iron Banner.

I'm not sure how much more new information we'll really get on Destiny. Bungie has repeatedly stated they do not want to give away too much of the game and they want us to experience and find things on our own. 

Full steam ahead though, the hype-train is rolling!

Technically they're right. There's 32 story missions, 15 strikes, however many raids plus the pvp modes we haven't seen. So even though we've seen half the maps and we know pretty much how the strikes and pvp will play, we haven't "seen" the other ones, plus those silly little community events like stopping the drilling or stopping that guy from reaching his destination.

If the iron banner counts as a special event where we play the exact same game mode the exact same way but my gun does more or less damage, I find that a little disappointing.

 

Don't.  Lets compare skill in the game, not the loot we find.  Don't let the weapons be a crutch for good play, just give me tht avenue for good play..  

 

Of course, this is also being said with zero clue as to what the other game modes are and what they're supporting and how customizable it may or may not be.

It seems like that's the whole point of Destiny pvp though. Some skill is required, sure. But when I have a shotgun that does the same damage as yours but can fire twice as fast even if you're a much better player I'll probably win every encounter because I can put more rounds down range than you can.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 15:21 (Reply to #39)
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

KamakazeTaco wrote:

It seems like that's the whole point of Destiny pvp though. Some skill is required, sure. But when I have a shotgun that does the same damage as yours but can fire twice as fast even if you're a much better player I'll probably win every encounter because I can put more rounds down range than you can.

Isn't the the attraction of Destiny the meta game? Knowing what weapons, armour and specials to use and when?

I don't see Destiny PvP being the monolithic one dimensional skills game ancient Halo was. That's why I get kind of pissy every time balance and skill terms get thrown around. I want Destiny be its own game, even if it doesn't include any of us here.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 18:07 (Reply to #40)
DedJeloC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 1 month ago
Joined: 07/10/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

DEEP_NNN wrote:
That's why I get kind of pissy every time balance and skill terms get thrown around. I want Destiny be its own game, even if it doesn't include any of us here.

yep, I want to support a developer and publisher for attempting to stretch and push what we know.  If the game fits me, I will learn the game and the physics within that game.  Balance and skill are relative terms to the player....a faster firing shotgun does not bother me one bit, I either get my own, or stay out of small rooms.  To me learning the strategy of a new game is half the fun.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 18:07 (Reply to #41)
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

DEEP_NNN wrote:

KamakazeTaco wrote:

It seems like that's the whole point of Destiny pvp though. Some skill is required, sure. But when I have a shotgun that does the same damage as yours but can fire twice as fast even if you're a much better player I'll probably win every encounter because I can put more rounds down range than you can.

Isn't the the attraction of Destiny the meta game? Knowing what weapons, armour and specials to use and when?

I don't see Destiny PvP being the monolithic one dimensional skills game ancient Halo was. That's why I get kind of pissy every time balance and skill terms get thrown around. I want Destiny be its own game, even if it doesn't include any of us here.

Not to make too much of a comparison, but it's gonna be more like CoD than Halo. The weapons get perks like reloading faster or better range when zooming or stuff like that, so that's going to effect how it plays. It'll be a matter of finding out what perks are in the game and which work together the best. A shotgun that fires full auto and gives bonus ammo directly to the magazine upon a kill so I never have to reload is going to give a major advantage. Which, to me, takes away some of the fun of a competitive multiplayer, but that's just me. I would rather go in knowing the other team has just as much chance as I do, not that my superior weapons are going to give me a free win.

Sun, 08/10/2014 - 22:58 (Reply to #42)
Dixon_Tufar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 years 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/15/2007 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

KamakazeTaco wrote:

DEEP_NNN wrote:

KamakazeTaco wrote:

It seems like that's the whole point of Destiny pvp though. Some skill is required, sure. But when I have a shotgun that does the same damage as yours but can fire twice as fast even if you're a much better player I'll probably win every encounter because I can put more rounds down range than you can.

Isn't the the attraction of Destiny the meta game? Knowing what weapons, armour and specials to use and when?

I don't see Destiny PvP being the monolithic one dimensional skills game ancient Halo was. That's why I get kind of pissy every time balance and skill terms get thrown around. I want Destiny be its own game, even if it doesn't include any of us here.

Not to make too much of a comparison, but it's gonna be more like CoD than Halo. The weapons get perks like reloading faster or better range when zooming or stuff like that, so that's going to effect how it plays. It'll be a matter of finding out what perks are in the game and which work together the best. A shotgun that fires full auto and gives bonus ammo directly to the magazine upon a kill so I never have to reload is going to give a major advantage. Which, to me, takes away some of the fun of a competitive multiplayer, but that's just me. I would rather go in knowing the other team has just as much chance as I do, not that my superior weapons are going to give me a free win.

 

Or a discounted win.  Either way, we'll see.

Thu, 08/07/2014 - 16:48
Kenjamin1 MI's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/29/2012 - 15:13
Currently Playing: 

Cheer up wouldya, if it's gonna bum you out, stay away from it.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 08:14 (Reply to #44)
DarthTabasco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 7 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2011 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Kenjamin1 MI wrote:

Cheer up wouldya, if it's gonna bum you out, stay away from it.

yes yes 

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 08:34 (Reply to #45)
KamakazeTaco's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 3 months ago
Joined: 01/30/2009 - 23:00

Kenjamin1 MI wrote:

Cheer up wouldya, if it's gonna bum you out, stay away from it.

I've played too many games, I don't buy into hype anymore. Anyone remember all the excitement over the new engine for Battlefield 3 and 4 and how it was supposed to make for amazing destruction and then at best you can slightly scratch some paint on a building? Or that wonderful game Brink? Or Final Fantasy 13?

Come release day, I have a realistic expectation of the game. All that can happen is I get what I expected or they exceed my expectations and I'm pleasantly surprised. But if you go in expecting things based on hope, it can only lead to disappointment. And disappinted gamers rarely stick with a game.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 09:09
DEEP_NNN's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/03/2005 - 23:00
Currently Playing: 

Hope is not wasted if you curb it with a realistic expectations.

Fri, 08/08/2014 - 10:53
Matt Likes Beer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 4 months ago
Joined: 01/17/2011 - 23:00

Expectations put aside, Im excited for the game that I played in the Beta to come out. PvP and PvE.

Join our Universe

Connect with 2o2p