So I've played hard all week - lots of hours into the Alpha. I'm obsessed with it - I love it.
One of my favorite mechanics in the game is the humanity system. You start out with 2500 humanity points. If you kill ~2 people your humanity will be in the negative and you will be seen as a bandit (terrorist type skin). Twice I had been killed by bandits. Both times they were really long games that I had a lot of hours invested into and I had some really good supplies. After the 2nd bandit killed me I decided I would be a super hero to the people. A bandit slayer. You don't lose humanity when you kill a bandit.
I loved it. I would go the farms and little towns to gather supplies and once I thought I was well enough equipped I would assault the bandit hot spots. The airfields and the Cherno and Elektro city roof tops. I had some great stories out of this and in all I had killed 6 bandits (probably just over the last 2 or 3 days). It felt great. I've seen videos of people doing this in groups on youtube. It was not uncommon for people to group up as a defence against the bandits. It also was not uncommon for bandits to group up - in little gangs (boy do I have a great story to tell about that!).
In the latest release out tonight - that mechanic is gone. No more huamnity (although it has been said it will be used a later time). No more skins to distinguish people hunters from survivors. Now it is deathmatch with zombies.....and tonight I killed my first survivor (although I suspect in a previous life he was a bandit given his location and gear).
There is still a lot of really cool stuff to do in the game but I will miss this aspect....and I suspect I will be grouping up with people that I don't know even less out of pure paranoia. Maybe when I respawn and we all have no gear I could roll with some people. But if I have hours into a character and lots of good gear I don't think I'll be responding to any in game craigslist requests for help and companionship.
Oh well 22.214.171.124 brought some really cool stuff to - it's not all sad :) It was a fairly major update.
* TO INTERACT WITH MOST ITEMS: YOU NOW NEED TO OPEN GEAR MENU (G) THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE ITEM! SUCH AS BANDAGING AND EATING AND SHIT
* This is a pretty major update. I don't really know what affect the new sickness and temperature system will have on player behavior especially with antibiotics being so scarce.
* It is the genesis of an idea, so please remember this might cause havoc. You need to be careful.
* To light a fire, you need matches and wood in your inventory. Place more wood in the inventory of a fireplace to keep the fire going.
* A fire that does not have wood in it will go out when you try to light it.
* You can tell you have an infection, because your character will start coughing. The infection causes you to loose blood down to a minimum of 6000. This leaves you with reduced blood until you take antibiotics.
* [NEW] Server cleanup system replaced with a more agressive one
* [NEW] Inventory Interaction system (right-click on items in gear screen to bring up interactions)
* [NEW] Temperature System now implemented (effects are limited)
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection the lower your temperature
* [NEW] Chance of catching an infection from already infected players
* [NEW] Water can be filled in ponds, all water pumps, wells, but not the sea
* [NEW] Forced disconnection saving for abort and alt+F4
* [NEW] Zombie's will investigate player deaths
* [NEW] Adrenaline rush from panicing causes greately increased hunger for a while
* [NEW] Bandaging Sound when bandaging yourself/someone
* [NEW] Coughing sound when you have an infection
* [NEW] Camera Shake when temperature drops extremely low
* [NEW] PROTIP: Use Global Chat/VOIP in populated areas
* [NEW] Fire requires wood to keep burning
* [NEW] Various Loot spawn balancing changes
* [FIXED] Should not be pellets for the Winny
* [FIXED] Whinny is way to powerful and quiet (mmmm your tears will be delicious)
* [FIXED] Helicopter loot despawning too fast
* [FIXED?] Too many zombies for the Carebears to be able to play
* [FIXED] Fog is way too thick
* [FIXED] Climbing a ladder with a pistol will cause you to fall
* [FIXED] Zombies not attracted to Flares and Chemlights
* [FIXED] Panic noises going apeshit all the time
* [FIXED] Zombie spotted alert far too quiet (increased slightly)